Have Your Students Build Multi-touch Tablets for Under $15

...and learn about optical multi-touch techniques in the process

 I found the above video on StumbleUpon a couple of months ago. That video led me to this link about building a cheap and easy multi-touch display called the MTmini. Apparently I was to busy to think but I had the good sense to at least bookmark the link in Diigo. While looking ahead in my curriculum I realized that next quarter we start talking about computer peripherals and in that is a section about multi-touch displays.

I remembered the link and started looking online for where I could find the necessary parts and how much they would cost. I decided to stash the links I find here so that others can use them (and so I can find them later).


What You'll Need

Here is the list of the required items with links and costs. I will update the list if I notice a price change or if the item no longer available at the link:
  1. Cardboard/Plastic Box- Depending on the amount of displays you plan on making you can either find an appropriate sized box around the house or buy packs of 25 at Staples. Tip: ship to a local store to avoid shipping costs.
    • Cost: approx. $1.50/box ($36 for a pack of 25)
  2. Clear Acrylic/Glass- Check your local hardware stores or sign shops for deals on clear acrylic (glass may be to fragile). 1/8" thickness should be enough for a small display. You can order pre-cut sheets here cut to the specific size for the box you bought. Tip: order the sheet 1/16"-1/8" oversize to ensure a secure fit.
    • Cost: $3.75 per 12"x12" sheet (15% discount on 10 or more)
  3. Paper- You will need on standard size sheet of printer paper per tablet. You most likely have access to enough sheets of standard paper around your school or home. If not you can grab a ream at Staples when you pick up your boxes.
    • Cost: Free-$6.00
  4. Webcam- The instructions say any generic webcam will do but recommends a Sony Eye-Toy. You can find both on Amazon for about the same price
    • Cost: approx $5+shipping
  5. Computer- This is only item that I am not going to include on the list. You will need a computer for each MTmini you are going to build
    • Cost: Already Owned
  6. Software- All required downloads are listed on the website.
    • Cost: Free
Total Cost per Student= $10-$15


This project is an excellent way to teach students about optical multi-touch techniques as well as how to install and troubleshoot drivers and software. The website this is derived from has project guidelines that allow students to start with the above project and gradually build up to making a full size multi-touch surface like the one in the video below. I am planning on doing this with my students around the beginning of December, I will update with tips and tricks to pulling this off as soon as I can.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...