I am an Educational Fanboy

I had an odd epiphany yesterday while at EduCon 2.4 in Philadelphia. This epiphany has been long overdue but I think that many others may feel the same way so here it is...

I am an Education Fanboy.

That may not be a big surprise to the hundreds of educators at EduCon who dedicate their lives to furthering education but I say fanboy in a very specific way. When most people meet celebreties they get weird. They are unable to talk and when they can get words out it's generally just "Hey... uhhh... I like your movies!" and then they slink away hoping that star never shares that awkward moment with some reporter. I have never been this way. I have met a few music and film personalities and I have been able to talk to them like regular people. I never understood why people got like that around what I see as normal people.

Until yesterday.

I am a 27 year old 2nd year teacher who dove into the world of education reform and technology about 4 years ago. I have grown my PLN and learned to respect many people in the educational sphere. At conferences I have watched people like Rodd Lucier, Zoe Branigan-Pipe, Ira Socal, Dean Shareski, Chris Lehmann and many others give presentations and talks that have changed the way I think about education and at events like EduCon I have had the good fortune to be in their company.

Meeting those people face-to-face has made me understand in some sense what people feel around celebrities with one slight difference, what those other people feel is excitement for seeing these stars, what I feel is respect. When I speak to these people I respect I don't want to come off sounding like an idiot so, of course, I wind up sounding like an idiot. Yesterday I was able to introduce myself to Dean Shareski who led one of my favorite conversations at EduCon 2.3 on Mythbusting in the classroom. I sounded like a complete moron with nothing of any significance to say. So I'd like to take this moment to apologize to Dean as I am sure I all but terrified him.

It was at that moment that I realized I am a fanboy of education. Events like EduCon and EdCamp are my rock concerts. Places where I get to meet the people I admire and effect what I do in the classroom everyday. I have a desire to be like these people I respect one day and what I truly love is that the barrier is low enough for anyone with a revolutionary idea to do so.

So I guess I should finish this up with a few points:

  1. I am an Education Fanboy
  2. I respect all those people who have affected change in the educational sphere
  3. I want to be one of those people some day
  4. I apologize for scaring Dean.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...